Chemical Engineering ITB
To become a high educating institution of chemical engineering in Indonesia which gets international acknowledgement in order to support national growth in the global competition of the 21st century.
- To carry out high quality undergraduate and graduate education program of chemical engineering in order to produce competitive alumni which are able to be leaders using their professional skills in industry, government, education, research, and other work fields.
- To do basic and applied researches innovatively and productively in order to produce potential results which get acknowledgement from national, regional, and international institutions.
- To give services to people by taking the role as a resource of education and technology in order to help people’s needs which change according to the growth of globalization era.
Chemical Engineering is an engineering discipline, which studies the design and operation of commercial-scale chemical processes in safe, sustainable, and profitable manners. These processes encompass various processing steps utilizing chemical and biochemical reactions, and changes in physical and chemical properties of materials to convert their physical state, energy content, and/or chemical compositions, resulting in various commercially valuable products. Practical everyday life is virtually impossible without the use of products generated by various chemicals processing worldwide. These products include the materials we use for our clothing, the fuel we use to power our cars and motorcycles, various petrochemicals that are used for farmland fertilizers, plastics, explosives, and plenty more; various pharmaceutical products we consume to maintain our health, and even the very foods that we consume everyday to sustain ourselves.
In the design of chemical processes, Chemical Engineers transform laboratory-scale chemical reactions into commercial-scale production processes by:
- determining the sequencing of major process operations
- calculating the materials and energy flow between the operations
- selecting proper type and size of equipment to perform the operations
- calculating the requirements for process utilities, e.g. cooling water, fuel, steam, electricity, necessary to support the operation of the entire processes
- developing a layout of the processing facility.
Chemical Engineers also make effective use of economic principles to evaluate the profitability and consider Health, Safety, and Environment of a chemical plant.