Education of Chemical engineering at ITB has been evolved since September 1941. It was established in the form of the Chemische Technologie Department, under the Technische Hoogeschool (THS) te Bandoeng which was founded by the Government of Nederlands-Indië. During the Japanese colonialism in Indonesia, THS was renamed Bandung Kougyou Daigaku (BKD) and Chemical Engineering was held under Oyakagabuka (Chemistry Department). In 1957, this department was transferred to the University of Indonesia under the Faculty of Engineering until finally be a part of the Institut Teknologi Bandung in 1959. In 1973, ITB inaugurated the Faculty of Industrial Technology (FTI) and placed the Department of Chemical Engineering under its administrative. The Chemical Engineering Department was officially changed to the Chemical Engineering Program ITB on July 11th, 1996 according to the Decree of the Directorate General of Higher Education No. 218/DIKTI/Kep/1996.
The Chemical Engineering Program was initially having 4 (four) elective paths (SubPrograms), which are Chemical Technology, Bioprocess Technology, Food Technology, and Bioenergy Technology. Since 2015, the Food Technology and Bioenergy Technology SubPrograms have been officially inaugurated as Independent Department of Food Engineering (PG) and Department of Bioenergy Engineering and Chemurgy (TB); both are under the administrative of FTI-ITB. The Chemical Engineering Program has received honorary predicate of “UNGGUL” accreditation from the National Accreditation Board for Higher Education (BAN-PT) in August 2020. The Chemical Engineering Program ITB has been the only United State Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) accredited Chemical Engineering Program in Indonesia since July 2011 and has been reaccredited in July 2017.